Create a portative module for type 1 observation station
Space Situational Awareness (SSA) is an activity ensuring the monitoring of space activities in order to have a common operational picture of space. Satellite observations are key to understand the complex environment in orbit. Several types of station can be used in order to provide orbital parameters of space objects. The main issues of fixed ground stations are the vulnerability of the material elements (physical structure, connectivity, energy) and the impact of growing light pollution in their location. The advantage of a portative module is the possibility to use numerous places and the easy setup.
The objectives of the project are to propose and design a general setup for any type 1 sensor stations. The identified goals are:
• Identify the minimum requirements for an optical and RF observation station
• Propose a simple and discrete design
• Manufacture and test the setup
• Include the station in the current network of ground stations
• Suggest improvements
For the good realization of the project, it is recommended that the student have:
• General understanding of the orbital dynamics and Image processing, mechanical design is a plus
• Programming skills in Java or python
• Ability to appraise and adapt the project to fulfill the needs of the Space Domain operation team
• A sense of responsibility to provide the work quality to be used for everyday applications
Place of work
The student will have the opportunity to work in a stimulating environment with other students in different locations (Lausanne, Bern, Zurich) in Switzerland depending on the needs of the projects.